
Last Tuesday while teaching exponents to 3rd period, I overheard a conversation in my class about the students getting together at McDonald's after school let out because it was an early release day due to parent conferences. As I usually do, I threw myself into their conversation to let them know that I know they are off task saying "Okay see ya there..." gave them an eye stare that says "get back to work" and resumed my proximity pace around the classroom thinking nothing more of the matter. The following day several students inquired as to why I didn't show up to the "McDonald's gathering." I laughed, they thought I was serious when I invited myself. So I casually threw out, "Oh, I am sorry, I didn't think you were serious about your teacher crashing your party, next Tuesday nuggets are on me." This got them really excited and very off task indeed. I had many students question my seriousness this time so I paused to check my own seriousness in my statement and decided that "yes, if you show up after school next Tuesday, nuggets are on me. We will have a study session with the teacher bring your homework and I will buy the nuggets."
Yesterday was our Nugget party. I showed up a little after 2 and met 17 students waiting for me at McDonald's. Many of them still skeptical. I felt like a celebrity when I walked in. They jumped out of their booths and greeted me with half hugs and high fives the question on all of their minds: Is she really going to buy us nuggets? The answer? Of course I did. I went to the register and asked the price of 20 piece Mcnuggets, ordered 5 boxes to split among us and found out the it is actually cheaper to buy 50 piece Mcnuggets so I ordered 2. My students were thrilled! Many got on their cell phones and called those who did not show up bragging that I had just bought them 100 nuggets! And do you know how much 100 nuggets cost me? A whooping $20. Yup, best $20 I have spent all year!
Our number was called and two boys jumped up to volunteer to retrieve their prize and came back holding two trays of 50 nuggets a piece. We plopped a tray on each table and threw around the sauce, me enjoying the moment as I listened to them laugh and munch like kids in a candy store. Each box of nuggets (10 in all) had 2 monopoly pieces and the kids tore threw them placing them on the appropriate places of the game board. I jokingly told them if we win the million I would split it with them so whenever a Park's place came into view I found their excitement and then disappointment amusing. When the fun ended I had a couple of male students (who have been a handful in the classroom) rise to my defense as another student tried to keep the game pieces. To be honest I would have probably thrown them away, but was touched by the sentiment so I treasured the pieces they retrieved on my behalf and placed them in my tote.
When the nuggets were plowed through, I made them clean up their mess and throw away their garbage before hitting the books. I stayed for 1/2 an hour - until each student had finished their assigned math homework, tutoring when needed. We had a whole wing on the McDonald's. As a student finished their work, they were asked to leave the wing so the remaining could concentrate. (By the way, I should note that not all of these students brought their homework but several of the students that did, hardly ever do their homework!) Before I left, I waved a quick goodbye to those who were banished from the study ward and again felt like a celebrity as they poured out a loud and proud "BYE MRS. LAKE!" It was awesome, and by this time, other students from the school had arrived due to the phone calls from earlier. Some asked if they could have nuggets too and I shrugged my shoulders and said "Maybe next time you will be on time!" Gave a smile and walked out of the building.
The following morning, I had yard supervision and again felt like a celebrity with all the students going out of their way to say hello the rumor was I had bought 1200 nuggets. I laughed at this suggestion, shrugged my shoulders and said "You'll never know cuz you weren't there." I also had several students that WERE there tell me again how thankful they were and how much fun they had. I will also note that the class I did this with is my lower skills class, who struggle in math and today, (the morning after) I had 100% participation. It was pretty cool. I think I might just have to do this again someday....
So how did I spy you may be wondering? Well the off topic discussion today was the nugget party (I hear this off task topic got carried over into other teacher's classrooms too..hehehe) part of this was due to an apparently hyped up discussion about the nugget party on facebook. When I got home from work I spied on students FB profiles and sure enough, many mentioned me in thier posts in how I really showed up and I really bought everyone nuggets. Today I get to go to bed feeling like a hero!
1 comment:
I love this. What a great memory you made for these students and showed them that you really care about them!
Post a Comment