
On Wednesday I took a half day at work for yet another doctor's appointment. I made the drive to Sacramento alone, as Brandon stayed home with our kiddos. I found the clinic in Sac arriving 5 min. before the appointment, where I was ushered into a private sonogram room in the genetics clinic. The Sonographer was very friendly and chatted my ear off as I laid back and enjoyed watching my daughter romp around inside. We both coed at her inner-womb thumb sucking and got some cool 3-D images of her precious little form. At the end of the routine exam Dr. Mintakis came in, texting the clinic in Roseville, waiting for a second opinion of my results before consulting me. I was confident all was well, and so when he informed me that her blood levels had risen significantly, it was a bit of a blow. I held it together, brave face on. He informed me that her blood had gone rom a .6 (last week) to a 1.5, meaning that she was now showing signs of anemia as was the original concern. "What does this mean?" echoed through my head.
He informed me that I would have to return again Monday morning for another exam, if baby's blood rises even .1 more, then I need to have a bag packed, ready to be admitted to Roseville's hospital for a in-utero transfusion-the baby would need to receive a blood transfusion through the umbilical cord. Being that I am 32 weeks along, and she is slightly large in size, I should also have a baby bag packed with camera in case of emergency C-section.
WHAT?! I could have a baby next week? My mind went into overdrive here. I am not ready, and now all I can think about are the things I need to get done within the next 5 days! Dr. Mintakis also scheduled bi-weekly NST testing (Non-stress tests). After leaving the clinic, I was surprisingly calm. I could not call anyone as I had forgotten my phone at home, and therefore had the entire drive home to contemplate what I had been told. I got home, told Brandon the news,grabbed a bite to eat and when in to work for the other half of the day. After leaving work,I swung by the house to pick up Miss Hannah, and she and I went to another Dr. appointment here in Stockton with my OB. after leaving my OB, Brandon met me at occupational health to pick up Hannah so that I could meet with a work-comp Dr.
Today after work I had more blood tests, tomorrow an NST in Modesto, and Monday is the big day-deal or no deal-blood levels rise, or, fingers crossed, fall. In the meantime, looks like we are sorting through baby clothes, putting the crib together, buying a few necessities, and picking up a car seat in preparation for the possibility.
1 comment:
Oh wow, Shells! We'll definitely keep you and that precious little girl before Jesus!
Post a Comment