Sunday, September 1, 2013

Our Story

I was apologetic for missing your birthday excursion.
But I needed to attend the funeral of my dear friend's father
as he lost his battle against cancer.

I was thankful that you were still in town upon my return

I was excited to join your family for dinner

I don't remember much from that night

Other than the awkwardness of your family knowing your feelings toward me.

It had been almost three months
since that night you confessed your love for me
that night
on the car trip home from San Jose.
I had responded in a long period of silence,
not the response you had hoped for I am sure.

It took me time to compose myself,
you caught me so off guard I had to figure out my feelings toward you.

I had lead you on,
for that I am sure.
I had flirted at whim.

Dancing in my backyard until there was no grass left beneath our feet.
Teasing over the phone nightly
encouraging your letters weekly.

You were everything I thought I wanted
so why this animosity towards loving you?
Why did I feel as if there was no passion...
no chemistry? When it was staring at me the whole time
through your handsomely chisled jaw leading me into your striking gaze

I was a fool for putting you off as long as I did.
But as they say, a fool does not know that they are being foolish.
Should it have come about any other way I think I would have missed you altogether.

Until that day,
celebrating your belated birthday one day late
together, in the car
pretending friedship.

I didn't know what you knew.
I swear to this day my behaivor was no ruse.
I was absent minded
I was naive.
It was all put together by God, destiny, fate or what have you...

When we strolled through the garden
I had never been before.
The mood was set, 
as awkward as it made me feel
the swans necking in the gardens, their reflections kissing the waters of our own path

As we crossed that Golden Gate
Simon and Garfunckle seemed to know what I did not
as they spouted love songs above the drone of the passing cars
and wind coming in through the sun roof.

I wanted, no I desired to give you, my friend, a birthday to remember
little did i know it would become the first of all memories
that we would share together.

AS we pulled around the corner,
I watched you transform-but a boy-
playing and dreaming in the Porshe factory
dancing around the cars while seemingly never removing your steady gaze from my direction.

We loaded up, to return, only to get lost
as we drove up the hill
someone switched the lights to dim,
and an idea sparked

Lets have an adventure
sliding down the hill, slowly cautiously, and then....I slipped
as I fell your hand clasped mine
our eyes met,
the same eyes I had been trying to avoid all day

And in that moment I knew.
I had fallen in love.
Physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually
in love.

Our hands remained interlocked.
Without words our fate was sealed.
we continued the adventure that we began...
11 years later the adventure continues...

At the base of the hill was a steep edge,
you jumped down like a lovestruck school boy
lifted your arms, and lowered me down
ever so slowly, our eyes meeting once more as your held me frozen in the air
before setting my feet aground

We followed the path
to the private beach
just you and I
venturing past the shyness once more
into playful banter in the waves
with the setting sun in the backdrop towards the west
and the twinkling lights of the city at our left. 

Upon the bunkers
you held my hands in yours,
stared into my eyes,
and came in closer
to pray

and I knew
this was the forever kind of love
as we sealed the deal
praising God for the day he blessed us with
heads bowed. 

We started the journey down as friends
and climbed back up changed,
bonded
betrothed.

We walked back to the car
Hand in hand.
I slid into the passenger's seat
to my red Honda Prelude

Leaned my head against your bicep,
closed my eyes
and slept
while your drove me home
in the comfort of your love and protection.
 
 
 
Dedicated to you.  Happy Anniversary my love.

No comments: